It is no secret that little things are close to one’s heart, and small things can also hurt one a lot. Bed bugs are tiny, oval brownish insects who have parasitic effects on the ones bitten by it. It is also known as Cimicidae they feed on human blood. Their hideaway is small cracks and crevices. Like mattresses, carpets, box springs, and folded areas. Somewhere between baseboards, wallpaper, upholstery, picture frames, electrical switch plates, and in furniture crevices. Bed bugs can cause itchiness and loss of sleep. Excessive itchiness can lead to skin infections. Unsanitary conditions are what attract these bugs.
If bitten by one, the symptoms include:
- Bed bugs bite in arms, hands, neck, shoulders, legs or face.
- An inflammation sensation.
- A raised itchy bump with the swollen surrounding.
- Welts in a zig-zag paradigm.
- Reddish-brown dried stains on fabrics due to bed bug droppings.
- White or bright skins, shed by the nymphs as they mature.
- Breathing issues.
- Blisters and swellings
- High fever
- Nauseous, fatigue
- Swollen tongue
- Irregular heartbeat
- Lowered immunity
Effective treatments that can relieve one from these dangerous bites:
- Washing the infected area with soap and water.
- One can also use baking powder and mix it water and apply.
- Hydrocortisone, to reduce the redness and swelling.
- Anti-itch creams, to get relief from the burning sensation.
For extreme cases,
- An injectable corticosteroid.
- Epinephrine medication.
Bed Bug Control:
- Pesticides like DDT and pyrethroids has created a need for different and newer chemical approaches often requires multiple visits and are highly effective. Insecticides may cause dispersal of bed bugs to bordering areas of a structure, spreading the infestation. The infected elements are supposed to be terminated by disposing of the furniture and other infested materials. One should destroy or mark these infested items as contaminated to prevent they’re unintentionally recycled and limiting the spread of bed bugs.
- One can use a zippered bag, bed bug-proof mattress covers, bed-leg moat devices, double-sided tape, and other types of barriers to prevent the spread of bugs. However, even with separate beds, the infestations persist if the bed itself is not free of the bugs, or if it is re-infested, which could happen quite quickly. One can pack their belongings and seal it in a transparent plastic bag for freezing. Once closed, the packet should be airtight. One can use the markings to identify the contaminated packs.
- Organic oils have been proven to be the best remedy to cure every medical-related problem.
- Bean leaves and other essential oils are contemporary ways of trapping the bugs and killing it gently.
- Vacuuming is another effective method. It eradicates the even tiny bugs left on any objects or hidden in the infected area.
- The process of heating can also eliminate bugs. A Pest Management Professional uses a piece of equipment to raise the temperature of the infected area for 90 minutes approximately at 118o F or 122O F. Also, the infested garments can be heated at high-temperature ironing with vapour.
- A regular clothes dryer can also be the removal procedure for bed bugs. The process should be continued for at least 30 minutes. Many items cannot be washed, though. Albeit the dryer can be proven effective without any damage.
Bed bug removal takes an immense amount of time and patience because they are small and elusive insects. In theory, bed bugs dictate this, that they reproduce quickly and their eggs are resistant to several techniques of pest control, both chemical and non-chemical. Pest management ensures judicious use of resources, the most economical ones to limit the harm caused to people, property and environment. Therefore, proper bed bug control is a necessity for every household these days.