In 2018, there were over 1.3 million lawyers in the United States. This number is 15% higher than in 2008, which indicates that more and more people are entering this field.
If you’re pursuing a career in law, then you may be wondering about the necessities. For instance, what’s the best laptop for law school? And then, after that, what’s the best laptop for lawyers?
We live in a highly digital world, after all. You’ll need to have tech that’ll make your life a lot easier.
Best Laptops for Lawyers
To help you out, here are 5 of the best laptops for lawyers.
1. Dell XPS 13 9380
- 13.3'' 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) Touch
- Intel Core i7-8565U (Quad-Core, 8M Cache
- 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe State Solid Drive (SSD)
- Windows 10 Professional
The Dell XPS 13 9380 as 13.3 4K Ultra HD Touch, which means everything you view on it will be crisp and clear. But what about its other specs?
Well, it has a 7th generation Intel Core i7 quad-core, 16GB DDR4 of RAM, and 512GB SSD storage. Not just that, but it has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 discrete graphics card with 4GB VRAM. To top it off, the laptop also has dual-copper double fans.
What this all means is not only can you run practically whatever you want on it, but the laptop will also operate smoothly and not overheat. This means it won’t fail when you need it the most.
Also, the Dell XPS 13 9380 weighs 4.8 pounds, is slim, has up to 4 hours of battery life, and charges very quickly. This means it’s a pretty portable laptop to bring around if you’re always on the go.
And if you’re worried about security, this laptop has biometric security with a fingerprint sensor. So no one can access those important legal files besides you.
2. Google Pixel Book Go
- Good to go: pixelbook go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours,  so you don't need to carry a charger. And when you do need a charge, get up to 2 hours of use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going. 
- Made to move pixel book go is lightweight - barely 2 pounds it’s 13 millimeter thin with a grippable design making it easier to carry 
- Get it done fast: pixel book go starts up in seconds, and makes working a breeze. The 8th gen intel core processor is quick and responsive, powering everything you do. And chrome os does not slow down over time so it always feels like new. 
- Go without worry: pixel book go is designed to prevent things from getting off trACk. The titan c security chip and built-in anti-virus software help protect your data. And chrome os updates automatically, always giving you the latest features and security. 
- Built for comfort: a backlit keyboard and hush keys make using pixel book go comfortable and quiet. The touchpad is spacious and accurate, so you only need to use a light touch. The fan less design stays cool to let you comfortably use it on your lap.
- Ready to entertain: with brilliant 13. 3” hd touchscreen display and dual stereo speakers, you get amazing picture and sound for watching movies, editing photos, or video chatting. 
If you’re looking for something even more portable, then you might want to consider the Google Pixel Book Go.
This laptop weighs just 2.33 pounds, has a battery life of up to 12 hours, and also charges quickly. So if you’re used to studying for long periods at the library, you won’t have to worry about your laptop dying if you forget to bring the adapter.
Typically, with smaller laptops, they have to compromise on processing power to accommodate the compact size. But this isn’t true of the Google Pixel Book Go at all.
It uses an 8th generation Intel Core i5 with 05 cores, has 8GB DDR4 of RAM, and 128GB SSD storage. The graphics card is an integrated one.
When compared to something like the Dell XPS 13 9380, the specs are pretty comparable.
For security, this laptop has built-in antivirus and a Titan C security chip.
3. Apple Macbook Pro
- Renewed products look and work like new. These pre-owned products have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers, which typically perform a full diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, and a thorough cleaning process. Packaging and accessories may be generic. All products on Amazon Renewed come with a minimum 90-day supplier-backed warranty.
- MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.8GHz 15-Inch, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB Flash Storage Solid State Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, integrated Intel Iris 5200 Pro graphics processor
- 720p FaceTime HD webcam and a high-resolution LED-backlit 15.4" widescreen 2880x1800 (220 ppi) "Retina" display
- Connectivity includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, two USB 3.0 ports, two "Thunderbolt 2" ports, an HDMI port, an audio in, out port, and an SDXC card slot
For those of you who have a larger budget, think about getting the Apple Macbook Pro. Its specs are pretty impressive; Apple’s stepped up their game in recent years, which means their laptops not only match PCs but may even surpass them.
The Apple Macbook Pro has a 15-inch screen, 2.9Ghz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory, and 512GB SSD storage. This means you’ll get excellent storage and RAM with this laptop.
The graphics card is the Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory, which can handle gaming and 4K videos. So the Apple Macbook Pro will serve you well for both business and pleasure.
If you’re thinking you can’t transfer your Android files from your phone to your Macbook Pro, think again. There are ways for Android file transfer for Mac to happen. So if this has been holding you back from considering Apple products, then you’ll be pleased to know that you have far more options now.
4. Lenovo Thinkpad T470
- Intel Core i5-6300U 2. 40 GHz (Up to 3. 0 GHz) Processor
- 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS Non-Touch Display
- Intel HD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
- Fingerprint Reader, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), Gigabit-Ethernet, 3x USB 3. 1, SD Card Reader
The Lenovo Thinkpad series has always been well-received by the public as a good and solid business laptop. This is because these laptops are packed with features but aren’t expensive.
This particular Thinkpad comes with a screen size of 14 inches with FHD, anti-glare, and multi-touch. For its specs, it has an Intel Core i7 dual-core, 16GB DDR4 of RAM, 512 GB PCIe SSD storage. Like some other laptops on this list, it has an integrated graphics card.
The Lenovo Thinkpad T470 is a sort of happy medium between small and bulky laptops. It weighs 3.48 pounds and has up to 14 hours of battery time.
It comes with Windows Hello, which has a fingerprint reader. This makes your laptop much more secure.
If you need to work off of a wireless connection a lot, then this laptop is a great choice. It has an Intel dual-band 8260 wireless AC card and also Bluetooth 4.1.
5. ASUS Vivo Book S
- Powerful & efficient 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U 2.7GHz (Turbo up to 3.5GHz) processor with improved media engine for smooth and uninterrupted playback
- 15.6" Full HD Wide view color rich display with up to 178° viewing angle. Slim 14.2" wide, 0.7" thin and portable footprint with 0.3" bezel for a stunning 80% screen-to-body ratio
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Lightning-fast dual band 802.11ac Wi-Fi keeps you connected through any congestion or interference
- 8GB DDR4 Ram, 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD combo, and ergonomic backlit keyboard with convenient fingerprint sensor
- Durable & long-lasting lithium polymer battery charges up to 60% capacity in just 49 minutes.
Last, but not least, we have the ASUS Vivo Book S. It has a display of 15.6 inches, Intel Core 97 quad-core, 8GB DDR4 of RAM, 256GB SSD storage.
This laptop weighs 3.3 pounds and has a battery life of up to 8.5 hours. This means it’ll be easy to carry around and you won’t have to worry too much about bringing the adapter with you, as it’ll last a whole day at the firm.
Like some of the other laptops on this list, the ASUS Vivo Book S has a fingerprint scanner. Without the need for passwords, you can have peace of mind knowing that only you can gain access to your important files.
Get One of the Best Laptops for Lawyers
As you can see, you have quite a few choices when it comes to the best laptops for lawyers. This is not a one-size-fits-all situation, so you could always end up with a laptop that’s not even on this list, but is perfect for you.
So use this article as a starting point. Explore your options, find out what you like about them, and go from there. By doing thorough research, you’ll ensure that you’ll spend your money wisely and get a laptop that’ll be helpful in your law journey.
For more information on the law, please take a look at our other blog articles.