Not a single feeling in the world can be compared to the one when traveling. Exploring new cities and their diverse architecture together with getting to know different cultures, extraordinary people and ancient civilizations expands our views and gives us a sense of freedom.
Today, we present you with one of the fifty states of the United States- Maryland, and we will give you all the reasons on why you should put it on your bucket list.
Why Maryland, USA?
Maryland is one of the original 13 states, and nevertheless, of its small size, it is packed with a great diversity of landscapes from the coastlines on the Chesapeake Bay to the forested Appalachian foothills. In the core of this unique topographic country lies the rich and meaningful history. Maryland with its central location played a vital role in U.S. history as a pivot between the South and the North. When it comes to planning your visit, you should definitely know that Maryland is divided into five different regions: Western, Capital Region, Central Maryland, Southern Maryland, and Eastern shore.
- Western Maryland is just the right region for you if you are eager to try out some outdoor fun activities such as skiing, boating and hiking some trails. Take the time to explore the many forests and national parks along the Eastern Continental Divide where you can witness some spectacular fall colors, or if you are searching for an adventure-make a stop to the Adventure Sports Center where you can have a fun whitewater course, climb, or hike.
- The Capital Region will surely satisfy your “crave” for amazing nightlife, unforgettable parties, fantastic shopping, and it will most-likely impress you with the spectacular Capital Wheel.
- If you plan on spending the entire day on the sandy beach or if you intend on fishing than you should visit Southern Maryland where you can immerse yourself in the charm of the Chesapeake Bay. If you are not into the whole “beaching” idea, you can spend the day exploring Maryland`s ancient cultures, fossils, and ecosystems at the Calvert Marine Museum.
- The Eastern Shore with its world of possibilities is like Maryland`s hidden gem. It will offer you unforgettable seafood straight from the fishing net, gorgeous sandy beaches, tiny yet spectacular islands, diverse wildlife, and idyllic small towns.
- If you come to Maryland, the Chesapeake Bay is a certainly a must-visit! It is the heart and soul of Maryland not only because the capital city- Annapolis and its serious sailing addiction but also because it is a place where you can find serene beauty, slightly salty air, fresh seafood, friendly locals, and the freedom of escaping the land. Sounds spectacular? We assure you, it is!
Together, all five of them will offer you unforgettable sights and experiences, thrilling attractions, and outdoor adventures.
In case you need some inspiration on where to begin, we are offering you a list with the top ten most amazing places that you need to visit.
Recommended Ideas for You:
- Top Ideas for Family Vacation to Make the Trips More Enjoyable
- 4 Destinations for First Time Solo Travellers
- The Best and Adventurous Holiday Destinations of the World
#1. C & O Canal National Historic Park
If you want to maintain your body while on the road, consider running, walking, or bicycling along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal which is a national historical park. Its roots go way back to the 18th and 19th centuries and here you can be a witness to original structures such as locks, aqueducts, and lock houses.
#2. Deep Creek Lake
If you are searching for some active outdoor adventures, then you should visit Deep Creek Lake. It is a relaxing getaway destination where you can hike, go fishing, have a picnic, ride some horses, swim, camp, or just sit by the lake and relax.
#3. Annapolis City Dock
You will be amazed by the stunning scenery that can be found in the state capital of Maryland. It is the sailing capital of America and a city where you can wine and dine, do some shopping, and take a sightseeing cruise that will guide you into the long history of this fantastic seaport.
#4. Baltimore Inner Harbor
Baltimore is officially the largest city in Maryland with a long history as a valuable seaport. You can spend the day walking along the docks or maybe do some shopping. If you have more time, you can visit the world-class attractions such as the National Aquarium, Port Discovery, Maryland Science Center, Baltimore`s Historic Ships, Horseshoe Casino, Pier Six Pavilion, and Camden Yards. Be a witness to a magnificent sunset as you overlook the panoramic view of Baltimore seen from the Harborview Condominium.
#5. Maryland Live Casino
If you want some “Las Vegas” entertainment on your road trip in Maryland, then you should surely visit Maryland Live Casino which is located halfway between Washington DC and Baltimore. Here you will be able to find all sorts of slot machines and electronic games but also a variety of fancy dining options.
#6. Six Flags America
Besides spending some time on the beach, if you are traveling with your kids, they will be ecstatic if you take them to the largest attraction for kids. There you can all spend some quality family time together riding some of the 100 different attractions or maybe even more. This is the largest water park in the state of Maryland, and not only it`s packed with a variety of water slides it also has 10 roller coasters, and even more, internationally awarded stunt show.
#7. Strathmore Music Center
Spectacular and magnificent, this is a 2,000-seat state-of-the-art concert hall that usually holds performances by major artists.
#8. Brookside Gardens
These glorious gardens that that spread across more than 50-acres are one of top Maryland`s attractions. They include various equally beautiful gardens such as aquatic, butterfly, fragrance garden, Japanese style garden, azalea garden, and trial garden.
#9. Ellicott City
If you are looking for a more unique and intriguing experience, then you should head out for the Ellicott City. What was once the largest flour milling center nowadays is a fun city with exceptional historical charm.
#10. NASA Goddard Visitor Center
Visiting The Goddard Space Flight Center while road tripping throw Maryland is most certainly a must. Be prepared for a one-of-a-kind “time-travel” experience. Get to know the dated satellites from where it all began as well as the extraordinary technology models from the 21st century. Learn some Space Science and visit different exhibits. This will surely be the highlight of your trip especially if you make a visit with your children.
All of this and much much much more can be found in the small yet beautiful country of Maryland!
Natural wonders waiting to be seen, mountains waiting to be conquered, and towns to be explored! Culture and history on every corner and friendly people! Tons of adventures that will make you never leave the land of oysters and crabs!
Wondering, How to Visit Maryland?
No worries, we got you covered!
First thing if you are visiting from outside the United States you need to check if your county is amongst the 35 countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program. First time hearing about this? Although this might sound complicated and undoubtedly official, it`s not. The Visa Waiver Program allows the citizen of the 35 countries to travel to the USA and stay for as much as 90 days without applying for Visitor Visa (B-2). If your county is part of the Visa Waiver Program, the only thing you need to do is check esta application (Electronic System for Travel Authorization). The esta validation will determine whether or not you are eligible to travel to the United States or not. It will only cost you $14, and it must be done at least 72 hours before departing for the United States.
Unfortunately, if your country is not part of the Visa Waiver Program, you will have to apply for a Visitor Visa (B-2).